Home made hash browns are delicious and do not require too much effort. These hash browns are perfectly crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside and have a subtle flavour.
The trick to getting the perfect texture is to make sure you squeeze all the moisture out of the potatoes before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
Hash Browns are great for a breakfast or brunch. We enjoyed them yesterday on a gluten free Schar Ciabatta with Sainsbury’s Shroomdogs and a slice of Violife cheese.
Vegan Hash Browns
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and grated wrap the grated potatoes in a clean tea towel and squeeze out all the moisture
- 1/2 cup plain flour (we use gluten free)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp low sodium sea salt
- 4 spring onions sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for frying)
- Make sure your potatoes are squeezed well so they are not soggy and add to a large bowl.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan.
- Using a cookie cutter, add around 2 tbsp mixture into the middle of the cutter and press into the mould so it is around 1 inch thick and a perfect round shape.
- Remove the mould and carefully lift the shaped uncooked hash brown using a spatula and place into the hot pan.
- Fry for around 4 minutes and flip – fry for around 4 minutes on reverse side – until nice and crispy (be careful not to burn).
- Repeat for each hash brown and serve hot.
If you try our recipe please leave us a ⭐⭐⭐ like or a comment. It helps other readers and it it’s also wonderful to hear from you.