This is comfort food at it’s finest and our favourite gnocchi dish.
The sausage ragu sauce is gently simmered with herbs and spices to thicken up before fluffy potato gnocchi is added to create a delicious one-pot, melt in the mouth meal.
Ragu is usually a meat based sauce served with pasta. It is cooked slowly to allow flavours to develop. I blitzed my favourite smoky vegan sausages (like meat sausages from Tesco) for the meaty texture in the sauce.
I use shop bought vegan and gluten free gnocchi. I cook this separately and stir into the ragu towards the end to allow it to soak up the spicy tomato flavours.
Gnocchi is very filling and this dish is perfect on its own but can also be enjoyed with a green salad and some garlic bread.
Have a wonderful weekend and stay safe! ❤🌱
Vegan Sausage Ragu with Gnocchi
- 1 pack gluten free gnocchi cooked according to packet instructions.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots diced
- 4 medium vegan sausages ground in a blender we use 'Meat Free' Smoky Sausages from Tesco
- 5 florets broccoli chopped into small pieces
- 150 grams mushrooms chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 inch ginger minced or grated
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chilli paste of choice (optional for a spicy flavour)
- 2 large tsp sun dried tomato pesto or 4 chopped sundried tomatoes
- 500g passata or chopped tomatoes (you could use 400g tin and make up the rest with stock if you like)
- 2 tbsp mixed dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, parsley)
- salt & pepper to taste and fresh coriander for garnish
- Heat your oil to a medium heat in a large pan, add the shallots and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground sausage meat and fry for a further 2 minutes, breaking up the meat with your spatula.
- Add the broccoli, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, paprika, pesto / chopped sundried tomatoes and chilli paste (if using) and cook for 2 minutes stirring to combine all the flavours.
- Stir in the passata and herbs, make sure everything is well combined and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cooked gnocchi and add salt & pepper to taste (if required) and garnish with coriander.