Another wonderful soup to add to my ‘favourites’ collection is this flavoursome red lentil and spring greens soup.
I had a bag of spring greens in the fridge which I have been wanting to use in a soup all week, but as the weather has been glorious we have been enjoying home made summer vegetable rolls. Today the weather has turned, so I got my large soup pan out. I would usually make a spicy soup with spring greens, but I fancied something a little milder and more hearty – so I decided to add lentils and for a change and omit the chillies (which was hard to do for me as a chilli lover).
I didn’t overdo the spices, using just cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, ginger and cumin, and the flavours were perfect. I also made some home-made croutons using my B-Free gluten free bread fried in my lemon, garlic, thyme and rosemary infused olive oil to scatter onto the soup making it slightly more naughty, but delicious.
Lentil and Spring Greens Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 inch piece ginger grated
- 300 grams red lentils washed
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock made with two vegan stock cubes
- 300 grams spring greens chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil to a medium heat in a large pan and fry the cumin seeds and cinnamon for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, lentils & turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and 1/2 of the greens and reduce to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes (until the lentils are cooked).
- Blend using a hand blender, then return the pan to the heat and add the remaining 1/2 spring greens.
- Simmer for a further 3 minutes until the greens are cooked. You can add more stock if preferred.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.