I can’t get enough of this lemon cake and I have made it that many times, I no longer need scales or my measuring jug. The whole family loves it and we dropped some off for my mother in law last weekend to make her smile, she has now asked for the recipe. This is Toby’s favourite cake and he loves to help make it, he has asked for a large one for his Birthday which is coming up soon so I will have to start planning that.
This cake has the perfect balance of lemony favours and sweetness, but is not too sweet. It is delicious with an afternoon tea which is how I will be enjoying it later now that the weather has picked up.
It is easily made gluten free using gluten free self raising flour, but if you don’t need gluten free flour, just substitute for normal self-raising flour. It is so quick to make and smells delicious when in the oven – if you can leave it to cool before eating I recommend this and then topping with simple icing made with icing sugar and lemon juice.
The last time I made this, I used a cocktail stick to make some holes in the cake before icing and poured a little more lemon juice on to add more lemony flavour. This is optional but if you like an extra zingy lemon taste, I recommend trying this.
Vegan Lemon Cake
- 270 grams gluten free self-raising flour sieved
- 195 grams vegan light brown sugar (we use Billingtons)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
- 100 ml olive oil
- 170 ml cold water
- FOR THE ICING
- 150 grams icing sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- lemons / zest for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees c (fan) or 200 degrees c.
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, oil and water and mix together until smooth.
- Pour the mixure into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in a tin and the turn out onto a wire rack.
- For the icing, sieve the sugar into a bowl and pour in the lemon juice a bit at a time until it is the correct consistency.
- Pour over the cake and decorate.