Vegan Spiced Sticky Toffee Pudding
This is our gluten free, vegan take on the classic sticky toffee pudding. With a touch of ginger and cinnamon, this sweet, delicious sticky pudding is wonderful. Best served warm with plenty of sweet toffee sauce.
- 200 grams medjool dates cut in half and de-stoned.
- 230 ml plant-based milk (we use Koko)
- 120 ml water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 115 grams vegan spread (we use Vitalite)
- 110 grams soft brown sugar
- 200 grams gluten free self-raising flour sieved
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE
- 80 grams Agave nectar
- 150 grams soft dark brown sugar
- 100 grams vegan spread
- 100 ml plant-based cream (we use Alpro)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 185 Degrees C
- Line a 20cm x 20cm cake tin with greaseproof paper
- In a saucepan, heat the dates, milk and water until the dates become soft – around 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda – this will become frothy. Leave to cool
- Beat the spread and sugar together with an electric whisk if you have one until creamy.
- Once cooled, stir the spices into the date mixture.
- Add the date mixture into the sugar mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in the flour.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake in the oven for around 35 minutes – check it is bouncy on top.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a pan and heat gently for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and prick all over to make small holes, then pour over some of the toffee sauce, reserving some for when the pudding is dished up.
- Enjoy warm with vegan ice cream.