Vegan Sweet and Sour
This mouth-watering juicy dish is perfect with plant pioneers chicken style pieces from Sainsbury's but you can use any meat alternative. Packed with crunchy vegetables, this dish is rich in flavour and texture and pairs well with sticky jasmine rice.
- FOR THE SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (I used the juice from the tin)
- 2 tbsp cornflour made into slurry with water)
- FOR THE STIRFRY
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 pack babycorn chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 2 medium courgettes chopped
- 1 pack alternative chicken pieces (optional) (we used plant pioneers)
- 1 tin pineapple chunks
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce except the cornflour slurry in a bowl, mix and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok.
- Add the onions, plant-based chicken pieces (if using) and carrots and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir fry for a further 5 minutes – don't overcook to keep the crunch of the vegetables.
- Add the sauce and pineapple and give everything a good stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the slurry and cook while stirring for a further minute to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve hot with sticky jasmine rice.