Potato and Broccoli Curry
This is an easy, satisfying curry – perfect for a midweek easy meal. To make this quick and easy I use frozen broccoli and prepare all the spices and curry while I par-boil the potatoes.
- 6 medium white potatoes quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil (we use extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 white onion roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 4 green cardemom bashed
- 2/3 green chillies chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 thumbsize piece ginger grated
- 400 grams frozen broccoli (you can use fresh if preferred)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder (optional)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml vegetable stock (use more or less as required for thickness – we like it quite thick)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful chopped coriander
- Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes with the salt until just soft and drain.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed large pan and fry the onion, mustard seeds and cardemom for 5 minutes.
- Add the chillies, garlic, ginger, broccoli, cooked potatoes and all the ground spices and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and cook for 10-15 minutes until the broccoli is cooked through.
- 2 minutes before the end, add the peas.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with coriander.