A delicious vegan version of the Korean staple food.
- 1 cabbage (chinese leaf / napa cabbage)
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 carrots julienned or cut thinly
- 4 green onions sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 100 ml warm water
- 3 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 bulb garlic chopped
- 1 small onion
- 3 tbsp Korean Chilli Flakes or Chilli Paste
- Quarter the cabbage and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Wash and dry the cabbage and rub evenly with salt.
- Place the cabbage in a large bowl and place something on top to weigh down. Leave for one hour, stir and leave for another hour.
- Place the carrots and green onion in another bowl.
- Blitz together the remaining ingredients to make a thick sauce.
- Stir the sauce into the carrots / onions.
- Rinse the cabbage and dry with paper towels.
- Coat the cabbage evenly with the sauce / vegetable mixture and pack tightly into an airtight container.
- Leave to ferment in a dark place for minimum 48 hours (maximum 1 week), pressing the mixture once per day.
- Place in fridge – can be refrigerated for up to 2 months unopened.