Easy Braised Red Cabbage
With a sweet taste from the apples and a slight tang from the apple cider vinegar, this cabbage is a tasty side dish – especially with cottage pie. This is an easy quick recipe – it takes time to cook but quick to prepare.
- 1 whole red cabbage quartered and sliced
- 1 large apple cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut or brown sugar
- water to cover the cabbage
- Place all ingredients into a pan.
- Add the water so it just covers the cabbage and stir.
- Bring the pan to a boil then reduce the heat.
- Allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally until the cabbage is very tender and has taken on all the flavours.