All our dishes are gluten free, but as this dish contains flour it is easy to look at it and think ‘oh it has flour I can’t have it’ so we mentioned the ‘GF’ on this occasion.
This dish can be enjoyed as a starter or side or even as a main (I could just eat this on it’s own).
Vegan Salt & Pepper Squid (GF)
- 6 king oyster mushrooms broken into strips (we use Wicked mushrooms from Tesco)
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (we use Koko)
- 2 tbsp gluten free plan flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp sea salt (split into 2 x 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 tbsp course ground black pepper
- rapeseed oil (1 inch deep in a large saucepan)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 red chillies chopped
- 1 medium green pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce or tamari (we use kikkoman GF)
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Mix together the milk, plan flour, paprika and 1/2 tbsp salt in a bowl for the batter.
- In a separate bowl mix together the cornflour, black pepper and 1/2 tbsp sea salt.
- Heat the oil in the pan until very hot.
- Taking around 5-6 pieces of mushrooms, dip them into the batter so they are fully coated then dip them into the cornflour mixture.
- Place the flour coated mushrooms into the oil and fry for around 3-5 minutes depending how crispy you want them.
- Repeat until all the mushrooms are cooked and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, chillies, soy sauce and pepper to the oil and fry for 3 minutes.
- Remove the onion mixture with a slotted spoon and spoon over the 'squid'.
- Squeeze lemon juice over and enjoy!