Vegan Chinese ‘Chip Shop’ Curry
Just like real chip shop curry but more nutritious and less oily.
- 1 block firm tofu pressed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium onion cut roughly into chunks
- 1 bell pepper cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp GF soy sauce (we use Kikkoman)
- 1 tbsp chinese five spice powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 tbsp cornflour made into a slurry with a little water
- 2 cups frozen peas
- salt to taste
- Fry the tofu in the sesame oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the onion, pepper garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add the stock, soy sauce, five spice and curry powder, stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cornflour slurry and stir – the sauce should thicken – add more slurry for a thicker sauce or more water for a thinner sauce.
- Stir in the peas and cook for 1 more minute and add salt to taste.
- Enjoy with brown rice or chips.
If you’re a curry fan and like trying out different curry powders, please click the image above for a link to a good Vegan & Gluten Free Curry Powder Kit.