Chana Masala is a chickpea curry containing green chillies, plenty of spices and tomatoes. This is an easy version of the dish.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 7 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 inch piece ginger grated
- 3 fresh green birdeye chillies chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 handful coriander stalks chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins chickpeas drained
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- handful fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Heat the oil and fry the cumin seeds for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry for 5 minutes.
- Grind together the salt, cumin, garlic, ginger, chillies, coriander stalks and tomato puree so it becomes a paste.
- Stir the paste into the onions along with the remaining spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and sugar to the pan and stir. Simmer for around 15 minutes adding water if the Masala becomes too thick.
- Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and more salt to taste if needed.