This recipe is my adaptation of a traditional Ratatouille. The smell and flavour is amazing. You can use any vegetables you like, traditionally there are aubergines, but as most of my family don't like these I replaced with shallots. If you do use aubergines, I recommend salting them first to remove excess water. Some people like to sprinkle cheese over their Ratatouille, so I have tried this using vegan cheese – again this is optional but it did add to the wonderful flavour.
- 3 courgettes cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 2 medium red onions cut into chunks
- 6 shallots peeled
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes cut into chunks
- fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 50ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional for smokey taste)
- grated vegan cheese – as much as you like to grate over ratatouille
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Place all the vegetables into a baking dish and put aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the garlic and stirfry over a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, herbs and liquid smoke (if using).
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven – bake for 50 minutes untilt he vegetables and soft.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place under a grill and grill for 3 minutes until cheese has melted and the top has charred a little (be careful not to burn).
- Serve as a side dish (I like it with shroomdogs) or as a main.