Vegan Lemon Cake
This gluten free, vegan lemon cake is easy and quick to make and is not too sweet. The zesty lemon icing topping gives a lovely tangy twist to the cake.
- 270 grams gluten free self-raising flour sieved
- 195 grams vegan light brown sugar (we use Billingtons)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
- 100 ml olive oil
- 170 ml cold water
- FOR THE ICING
- 150 grams icing sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- lemons / zest for decoration
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees c (fan) or 200 degrees c.
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, oil and water and mix together until smooth.
- Pour the mixure into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in a tin and the turn out onto a wire rack.
- For the icing, sieve the sugar into a bowl and pour in the lemon juice a bit at a time until it is the correct consistency.
- Pour over the cake and decorate.
If you want more of a zingy lemon taste – try making some holes in the top of the cake and pour a little more lemon juice over the cake when it has baked and before icing.