A tasty bolognaise made using vegetables, lentils in a rich tomato and red wine sauce.
- 400 grams dried brown lentils
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- water to cook lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 200 grams mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200 ml red wine
- 100 ml vegan stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- salt to taste
- handful spinach (optional)
- Place the lentils in a pan with cider vinegar and water to cover the lentils (about 1 litre).
- Simmer the lentils for half an hour until starting to soften, rinse with boiling water and drain.
- In another large pan, heat the oil and fry the garlic, onion, celery and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, herbs, paprika and red wine and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, puree and drained lentils.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check the consistency whilst simmering, adding more water if too dry.
- If using spinach, stir in at the end.
- Add salt to taste and top with your favourite grated vegan cheese.
- I served this with gluten free pasta.