This is a vegan, gluten free take on the classic Italian dish.
Griddling the aubergine before layering into the dish is important in this recipe – the aubergines become soft and slightly charred on the edges which adds to the flavour.
The classic recipe does not call for fresh tomatoes, but they do make a difference to the texture and flavour.
Living in a family who aren’t a fan of aubergines 🍆 I was a little apprehensive about making it – I envisaged myself spending two days eating it all to myself, but it was a hit and all was eaten in one sitting.
I placed on a bed of gluten free pasta and served with a rocket and beetroot salad.
Aubergine Parmigiana (Melanzane alla Parmigiana)
- 2 large aubergines sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 400g pack passata
- salt to taste
- handful fresh basil
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes slied thinly
- 100 grams vegan cheese grated
- handful gluten free breadcrumbs (I made my own – blended and fried 3 x Schar slices bread)
- pepper to taste
- Place the aubergine slices on a hot griddle and cook for around 3 minutes on each side until the turn soft and charred. You may need to do his in batches.
- Heat the oven to 175 degrees (fan).
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and fry the garlic and onion for two minutes.
- Turn the heat down and add the herbs, red wine vinegar and passata.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, checking the taste and adding salt if needed.
- In an oven-proof dish, place a layer of the sauce, then a layer of aubergines, then a few tomatoes and basil leaves and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Repeat this 3 times, and before adding the final sprinkle of cheese, place the breadcrumbs on top then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, until the top is crispy and the sauce is bubbling.
- Add black pepper to taste.