Something Dishy Marinara Sauce
All the family love this sauce with pasta. It is rich in flavour and simple to create, the key is to allow to simmer for beyond 30 minutes to allow the flavours develop. This is a must have with pasta and shroomballs or any other veganballs, and is a lovely as a sauce for any mixed pasta dishes.
- 1 glug olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 glass red wine (check for vegan friendly)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and turn the heat down to saute for around 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add balsamic vinegar, red wine, oregano, black pepper and salt and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and simmer over a low heat for around 30 more minutes.
- Using a hand blender, puree the sauce until it is required consistency.
- Pour over food or stir into pasta dishes to serve.
If you like a bit of spice in your pasta… add some red chilli flakes when adding the oregano… this gives it a lovely kick.