Vegan Pasta E Fagioli
Pasta e fagiola means pasta and beans. It is a hearty Italian soup made with a soffrito base. This dish is even better if you take the time to buy fresh cannellini beans and soak overnight… however for a quick alternative you can use tinned beans.
Servings: 4 people
- For the soffrito:
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- For the macaroni:
- 2 cups gluten free macaroni cooked according to instructions until al-dente
- For the soup:
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh red chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 glug vegan white wine (optional) (a glug means as much as you would like – I use around half a cup)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tin cannellini beans or 1 cup fresh soaked beans (for fresh soak overnight)
- handful exotic mushrooms
- For the soffrito, put the carrots, onion, garlic and celery in a food processor and blitz.
- Fry the soffrito mixture in the oil for around 10 minutes being careful not to burn (keep stirring)
- Add the herbs, salt and chilli to the mixture and fry or a further minute.
- Add the vinegar, tomato puree and wine (if using) to the mixture and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, beans and mushrooms and simmer (15 minutes for tinned beans, 40 minutes for dried beans).
- Add the macaroni and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve with fresh bread.
Please make sure you cook the pasta separately – if you try to cook it in the pan from the start it will change the texture.