This is our vegan and gluten free take on apple crumble.
Many people with coeliac disease or gluten intolerance struggle with oats (as I have discovered I do), and if this is the case, you can always replace these with gluten free flour – the texture will not be the same of course but it will be just as good.
This was one of our first pudding recipes since becoming vegan and is very easy to make. We have made it many times since and it is enjoyed by all the family – even the extended non- vegans.
Vegan Apple Crumble
- Large Pie Dish
- Large mixing bowl
- FOR THE FILLING
- 8 medium apples, cored, peeled and roughly chopped or sliced
- 3/4 cup vegan golden caster sugar (I use Billington's)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 3 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free plan flour
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 1/4 cup muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegan spread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees c. (180 for non-fan)
- Place apples in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the bowl and give everything a good stir.
- Put the filling ingredients in the pie dish.
- Clean your mixing bowl and put all your topping ingredients in.
- Rub all topping ingredients together until is is the desired texture.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake in the over for around 1 hour uncovered checking occasionally.
- You want the filling to be soft and the topping to be golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and if you can leave for a while do so (we can never manage longer than 15 minutes)
- Serve with vegan custard or cream.
If you do try our recipe please leave us some ⭐⭐⭐ likes ⭐⭐⭐ or comments. It helps other readers and it it’s also lovely to hear from you.