Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Stroganoff is a creamy dish of Russian descent. The traditional dish tends to have beef and soured cream… this is our version.The mixture of exotic mushrooms and chestnut mushrooms and spinach gives the dish a meaty texture but without the meat and the mustard gives the dish a tangy stroganoff flavour.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600 grams chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 600 grams exotic mushrooms roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 200 ml plant-based cream (we use Alpro)
- 2 1/2 tbsp mustard (more or less depending on preference)
- 1 pack 260g fresh young spinach (we use Sainsbury's)
- 1 tbsp cornflour made into slurry (mixed with a little water)
- handful fresh parsley
- Fry the onion in the olive oil over a medium heat for around 5 minutes, until they start to become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and paprika and fry for a further 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice, stock, cream and mustard, stir well and allow to simmer for 10 minutes stirring in the spinach half way through.
- Add the cornflour slurry and cook for a further 2-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. (if it is too thick add a little water, if too thin add more slurry)
- Top with fresh parsley and serve with sweet potato mash or brown rice.