Tofu and Courgette Hot and Sour Soup
I love hot and sour soup – for me the hotter the better. In this recipe I use apple cider vinegar (as it is good for you), but you can use rice wine vinegar if you prefer. You could also add cornflour slurry if you prefer your hot and soup soup to be a little gloopy – I chose not to with this recipe as I am not keen on gloopy soup containing noodles. I always use dried rice noodles, but again you can use any noodles depending on your preference.
- 5 cloves garlic crushed and roughly chopped
- 2 medium courgettes sliced and cut in half
- olive oil or sesame oil (I use a bit of both for flavour)
- 1 thumbsize piece ginger grated
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- 1 handful rice noodles
- 150 grams firm tofu
- 3 spring onions
- sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom saucepan and fry the garlic and courgettes for 5 minutes.
- Mix the ginger, chillies, soy sauce, vinegar and syrup in a separate dish and add to the pan and cook for a further minute.
- Add the hot stock to the pan and reduce the heat to low – cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu – cook for 1 more minute to warm the tofu through.
- Top with chopped spring onions and add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with herbs of your choice and fresh red chillies.