Vegan Hash Browns
Practise makes perfect - and these hash browns are perfect! The trick is to make sure all the moisture is squeezed out of the potatoes and don't use too much flour - you don't want to spoil the lovely flavours.
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and grated wrap the grated potatoes in a clean tea towel and squeeze out all the moisture
- 1/2 cup plain flour (we use gluten free)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp low sodium sea salt
- 4 spring onions sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for frying)
Make sure your potatoes are squeezed well so they are not soggy and add to a large bowl.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan.
Using a cookie cutter, add around 2 tbsp mixture into the middle of the cutter and press into the mould so it is around 1 inch thick and a perfect round shape.
Remove the mould and carefully lift the shaped uncooked hash brown using a spatula and place into the hot pan.
Fry for around 4 minutes and flip - fry for around 4 minutes on reverse side - until nice and crispy (be careful not to burn).
Repeat for each hash brown and serve hot.